Our mission at the Conflict Resolution Center is to help you become better able to resolve conflicts. We have trainings, educational resources from other sites, and volunteer opportunities for you to master the art of conflict resolution and help others.
Volunteers willing to help mediate conflicts are vital to the success of the Conflict Resolution Center. With their help, neighbors and families find peaceful resolution. The volunteers gain something too, recognizing that phone conciliating and face to face mediating disputes is richly rewarding.
The volunteer primary responsibilities are to help Bellevue residents resolve conflicts. Tasks include: telephone conciliation (coaching, problem solving, arranging a mediation); database entry and other office tasks; conducting face-to-face mediation; facilitating group meetings and assisting with outreach, training and other program projects.
Our desired qualifications include excellent communication skills, commitment to respect exchanges between people, ability to assist people in solving their problems and ability to maintain confidentiality and impartiality. Basic computer skills and completion of extensive, specialized trainings with the Conflict Resolution Center are mandatory. We accept adults only.
Our expectation is that volunteers first apply for a 20 hour conciliation training, conducted annually. If selected, the volunteer would then take a three hour weekly daytime telephone conciliation shift for a minimum of 6 months. Once completed, the volunteer is eligible to take Basic Mediation Training and then enter our practicum to be certified as a mediator. That process can take a minimum of one additional year.
For more details about volunteering, you may contact us at 425-452-4091 or at BCRC@bellevuewa.gov.
- 24-hour Conciliation: Monday, Feb. 12-14, 2024. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- This free training is a prerequisite to volunteering with our program. As a conciliator, you will assist callers in understanding their issues, exploring options and developing strategies for problem resolution. In this training, you will learn conflict theory, advanced communication skills, negotiation, coaching, database usage and procedural tools. These skills are useful even if you don’t volunteer.
- To join this year's training, please download and complete the 2024 Conciliation Training Registration Form, and then email it to BCRC@bellevuewa.gov. If you have any additional questions, call 425-452 - 2897. The application deadline is Jan. 30. Class size is limited. You can also download the conciliation flyer.
Volunteer In-service Schedule
- Coffee and Consultation: This monthly one-hour chat is an opportunity for volunteers to connect and consult with each other. We are bringing back our monthly chats to check in, say hi and discuss questions or challenges you are facing. This will also be an opportunity for us to share updates and changes in our ever-changing world of mediation. No need to RSVP, just accept the calendar invite, and drop by for all or part of the hour. We are looking forward to spending some less structured time with you. Contact Natalie Daniels for online access: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, Nov. 28, 10 a.m.- noon at City Hall (Room# TBA).