Come and play!
The playground is open year-round, and typically sprays water from the Friday of Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day. The playground provides for year-round enjoyment with or without spraying water,
Ohno Construction began construction on both the Complete the Circle and Inspiration Playground projects on July 11, 2016. The playground opened on June 28, 2017.
The city worked with the Bellevue Rotary Club to expand the playground in Bellevue Downtown Park to include an innovative play space where kids of all ages and abilities can play and explore at their own pace. Dedicated to fun, imagination and learning, it is a universally-accessible play experience - a truly Inspiration(al) Playground.
The Bellevue Rotary Club approached the city, seeking a project to benefit the community and to celebrate the club's 50th anniversary. Inspiration Playground at Bellevue Downtown Park is that project. The Rotary Club of Bellevue led a community-wide fundraising campaign to secure the funding needed to build Inspiration Playground.
The expanded playground includes new interactive features that engage the senses, create inclusiveness and accommodate children of all abilities and their caregivers. The new playground's design works to:
- Retain the popularity of the existing playground while expanding its footprint to encourage a broader and more inclusive ranges of users;
- Provide activities that are fun and challenging, that support the physical, educational and social development of the individual, and that consider sight, sound, scent and touch; and
- Respect the future plans for the Downtown Park through the use of existing site features and topography, consistent with the Council-adopted Downtown Park Master Plan.
- Inspiration Playground Site Plan and Aerial Photo
Community Feedback and Events:
- May 16, 2012 - Community and stakeholder outreach meeting
- September 17, 2012 - City Council and Bellevue Rotary approved the partnership.
- September 29, 2012 - A "Play for All Expo" was held in the Downtown Park to share the Inspiration Playground concept with the community, and to celebrate and learn about community support programs for people living with disabilities in fun and interactive ways.
- February 13, 2013 - Community and stakeholder outreach meeting
- May 11, 2013 - Play for All - Bellevue Rotary Foundation Dinner and Auction: Benefitting the Inspiration Playground and Bellevue Rotary Foundation.
- February 12, 2014 - Community and Stakeholder Final Design Meeting
- September 9, 2014 - Lunch in Downtown Park
- March 26, 2015 - Downtown Park Projects Open House at City Hall
- Grand Opening - June 28, 2017
The Bellevue Rotary's Inspiration Playground website offers more information, including how to contribute to the project.
Bellevue welcomes your input about this project at any time.