• Traffic and Photo Enforcement

    Header Image

    The Bellevue police regularly receive a number of questions about traffic enforcement and photo enforcement. Answers and relevant links are provided here.

    Traffic Enforcement

    Image of Police motorcycle officers training

    If you want to request police action for problems related to speeding vehicles or traffic or parking issues in Bellevue, you can make a traffic service request. These requests go to a supervisor in the Traffic Section for review and further action. If requested, the origin of a traffic service request will be kept confidential.

    View the flashing school signs schedule and school zone flashing beacon map for the Bellevue and Issaquah school districts.

    Parking rules and restrictions in Bellevue

    Frequently Asked Questions

    1. If I am in a collision, do I have to fill out an accident report?
    2. Should I always call the police to an accident scene?
    3. Does the Bellevue Police Department investigate accidents on private property
    4. Should I move my car after an accident?

    Photo Enforcement

    An Insurance Institute for Highway Safety report indicates that red light cameras saved 159 lives from 2004 to 2008 in 14 of the biggest U.S. cities. In an effort to reduce collisions and make city streets safer, Bellevue has implemented photo enforcement. The city signed a five-year contract with American Traffic Solutions (ATS), in 2014.

    Motorists who exceed the posted speed in two school zones are captured on camera, as are red-light runners at two intersections on 148th Avenue Northeast. American Traffic Solutions, Inc. (ATS), which administers photo enforcement in 11 other Washington cities, administers Bellevue's photo enforcement program. ATS offers additional information about photo enforcement. You may contact ATS at 866-790-4111. A Bellevue police officer reviews all cases prior to issuing an infraction. The fine is $124.

    Camera Locations

    Cameras and violation sensors monitor three school zones:

    • Stevenson Elementary School and Odle Middle School, 14200 block of Northeast Eighth Street
    • Lake Hills Elementary School, 14300 block of Southeast 12th Street
    • Sunset Elementary School, 4400 West Lake Sammamish Parkway SE

    Cameras and violation sensors monitor four red light locations:

    • Main Street and 148th Avenue Northeast (southbound)
    • Bel-Red Road and 148th Avenue Northeast, (northbound and southbound)
    • NE 8th Street at 112th Avenue Northeast (eastbound and westbound)
    • NE 8th Street at 116th Avenue Northeast (westbound)

    Photo Enforcement Records

    Traffic Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

    If you have payment questions or want to dispute your infraction, please contact the Bellevue District Court at 206-205-9200

    1. If I am in a collision, do I have to fill out an accident report?

    No, though you may want to if:

    • A collision causes more than $700 damage to either vehicle or other property, or there has been an injury, you should report it to law enforcement. An officer will investigate and file a collision report.
    • You are involved in a collision in which damage to either vehicle or other property is less than $1,000 and there has been no injury, law enforcement officers will generally not complete a collision report. You do not have to either. If you want, you can complete a report yourself, and the Bellevue Police Department can provide you with a form and assist you in completing it. State vehicle collision reports must be completed and filed with the State Patrol within four days of the collision.
    • Your car was parked and unoccupied when a collision occurred, or you were a pedestrian or using a wheelchair in an accident, you do not have to file a report.

    2. Should I always call the police to an collision scene?

    • The Bellevue Police Department will respond if called to any collision scene. As noted in the answer to Question 1, an officer will usually investigate and file a collision report if the collision has caused more than $1,000 damage to either vehicle or other property, or there has been an injury. Police will include in the report whether the collision involved unoccupied parked cars, bicycles, wheelchairs or pedestrians.
    • It is recommended that you call the police department when the other driver appears intoxicated, has a vehicle with license plates from another state or country or leaves the scene without giving you any information. In any case, if you feel you need assistance, please call us.

    3. Does the Bellevue Police investigate collisions on private property?

    Because of personnel limitations, Bellevue Police cannot investigate most collisions that occur on private property. However, police will come if a collision on private property results in death or serious injury, if one of the drivers appears to be intoxicated, or there was a hit-and-run and suspects can be identified. If you need help, please call us. We can still provide some form of assistance.

    4. Should I move my car after a collision?

    This will depend on the circumstances. Your safety and the safety of others is always the first consideration. It is recommended that you not move your car if anyone is injured or if it is unsafe to drive. If your accident is minor and your car is safe to drive, you should consider moving your car to a safe location.