In response to community concerns about high vehicle speeds and pedestrian safety, the Transportation Department lowered the speed limit of all streets in the Surrey Downs neighborhood from 25 mph to 20 mph in fall 2020. While school zones in Bellevue are signed for 20 mph during certain school hours, this project was the first in the city to feature a 20 mph speed limit for all times of day. This project was selected from more than 100 candidate locations in the city following a prioritization process by the city’s Neighborhood Traffic Safety Services group.
Why lower the speed limit
Lowering vehicle speeds helps to make streets safer and more comfortable for people walking in the neighborhood, a key strategy envisioned in the community-supported East Main (Light Rail) Station Area Plan. Further, lower speeds supports the city’s Vision Zero effort to eliminate serious injuries and fatalities on city streets by 2030.
The city plans to evaluate the effectiveness of the speed limit change through before-and-after traffic studies that measure vehicle speeds and through community feedback.
A one-week traffic study assessed existing vehicle speeds at multiple locations throughout the neighborhood to compare against future conditions. Following the installation of the 20 mph speed limit, the number of people driving at higher-end speeds (greater than 30 mph), decreased 20%.
To lower the speed limit, city staff replaced existing speed limit signs with 20 mph signs, added blue “Residential Area” signs at each neighborhood entrance and repainted speed limit pavement markings. Additionally, a few new 20 mph pavement markings were added in the neighborhood.
Yard signs that indicate “20 is Plenty” are available to community members upon email request.
This project was funded by the Neighborhood Traffic Safety Program (CIP PW-M-7). Project budget: $20,000.
- September 2020: Notice to community; traffic study to measure vehicles speeds prior to implementation of 20 mph streets
- October 28, 2020: Planned implementation of 20 mph streets
- November 2020: Traffic study to vehicle speeds following implementation
Surrey Downs近郊の通りすべてで制限速度を20 mphに下げるプロジェクト
- 25 mph の速度標識は20 mphの標識で置き換えられます.
- Surrey Downsのすべての通りで制限速度は20 mphとなります
Проект обеспечения безопасности дорожного движения
Проект, предлагающий снизить ограничение скорости до 20 mph на всех улицах района Surrey Downs
- Снижение ограничения скорости подлежит оценке.
- Знаки движения со скоростью 25 mph будут заменены на знаки движения со скоростью 20 mph
- Осуществление намечено на октябрь 2020 г.
- На всех улицах района Surrey Downs будет установлено ограничение скорости 20 mph
计划拟降低所有 Surrey Downs 邻近街道的限速至 20 mph
- 将把 25 mph 的速度标志更换为 20 mph 标志
- 于 2020 年 10 月实施
- Surrey Downs 所有街道的限速将为 20 mph
- Mailer to neighborhood (September 2020)