The NE 12th Street Multipurpose Path project, from 108th to 112th Avenue NE, is part of a long-range plan to create a corridor for people who walk and bicycle. It connects Downtown to the rapidly growing BelRed and Overlake areas. Project construction began in December 2020 and was completed in April 2021.
The newest segment will connect to an existing wide path that crosses over I-405, from 112th to 116th Avenue NE. In late 2020, the multipurpose path was extended farther east to 124th Avenue NE with the opening of Spring Boulevard, a new roadway being built through the BelRed area. The NE 12th Street Multipurpose Path is funded as part of the Downtown Transportation Plan.
The multipurpose path, from 108th to 112th Avenue NE, will pass through McCormick Park but will have minimal impact on how the park has has historically functioned. Elements of the project will include:
- Expansion of the existing 5-foot wide sidewalk to a 12-foot wide multipurpose path
- Expansion of the current planter strip from 3 feet to 5 feet wide
- Landscaping to buffer the multipurpose path from the roadway
- Restoration of park landscaping impacted by construction
- Retention of the existing gravel path within the park
- New signage with safety messages along the path
- 2021 (April): Completed and opened to the public
- 2020 (December): Construction start
- 2020 (fall): Contract bid and award completed
- 2020 (summer): Project design completed
This project is funded by the Downtown Transportation Plan Implementation Program and the construction estimate is $700,000.