Project will widen 124th, from Northeast 12th Street to Northeast Spring Boulevard, to five lanes. The new configuration will include turn pockets or a center turn lane, and a pedestrian and bicycle facility on each side of the street, separated from vehicle traffic with a buffer. The project is being coordinated with the Spring District and other developments in the area.
Construction began Jan. 2022
The city's contractor, Interwest Construction, Inc., has begun construction with survey, tree removal, erosion control, and preparation for upcoming underground utility work. Due to the ongoing concrete strike, work on the project is delayed. Partial intersection closures are coming soon. Detour and closure information will be provided once the concrete strike ends and work resumes under an updated schedule. Access to businesses is being maintained.
It's expected this project will improve connectivity and circulation, support economic development and provide pedestrian and bicycle access to the future Spring District/120th light rail station. The design also will be compatible with surrounding development.
- 2023: Construction completion anticipated
- 2017: Funding finalized through a Federal Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loan from the U.S. Department of Transportation
The total project budget is $21.3 million and will be partially funded through a federal TIFIA loan and Transportation Improvement Board. Approved 2021-2027 Capital Investment Program Budget Sheet.
- Updated construction alert (Dec. 2022)
- Construction alert (Oct. 2021)
- Roadway cross section diagram
- Pedestrian-bicycle configuration